With a strong appreciation for leading an active lifestyle, Dr. Mark R. Nikkel specializes in treating sports-related joint injuries. His conservative approach to managing pain and improving mobility ensures all treatment options are considered before recommending surgery. These may include medication, steroid injection therapy, visco-supplementation or arthroscopy.
If surgery is necessary, Dr. Nikkel prefers the latest minimally invasive techniques. He is particularly experienced with shoulder and knee injuries and is accomplished in joint replacement. Dr. Nikkel is an associate professor for Midwestern University's Orthopedic Surgery Residency Program.
- Board Certified - American Osteopathic Board of Orthopedic Surgery
- Post Graduate Study Fellowships
- Sports Medicine, Los Angeles Orthopedic Institute, 1999
- Residency and Internship
- Orthopedic Surgery Residency, Chicago Osteopathic Medical Center, 1998
- Family Medicine Residency, Chicago Osteopathic Medical Center, 1994
- Internship, Chicago Osteopathic Medical Center, 1993
- Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine, D.O., 1992
- San Diego State University, M.S., 1998
- San Diego State University, B.S., 1996